Gas & Oil Tank Protection
Metallic pipelines and storage and shipping tankers are often fabricated from carbon steel and low grade steel grade that is coated with primer and epoxy for chemical resistance. However, they are still prone to corrosion as a result of electrochemical reactions with the environment.
The type and rate of corrosion are closely dependent on material properties and environmental conditions. Corrosion can develop internally and externally, and because the mechanisms inside and outside of storage and shipping tankers are different they require different protective coating properties to prolonging useful life.
Recent studies of internal corrosion in oil and gas tankers have focused on discovering the mechanism of corrosion in sour fluid and mixed H2S + CO2 corrosion.
To protect against H2S, CO2 and other corrosive gases from penetrating between the coating and steel interface inside the oil and gas storage and shipper tankers and transport pipes:
- FLUOROSEAL® coatings are engineered for performance with highly fluorinated polymers to exceed the effectiveness of typical “FEVE” and PVDF coatings.
- This unique fluoropolymer coating boasts a molecular structure which blocks H2S, CO2, and other corrosive gases from penetrating the metal/coating interface, preventing pitting and other corrosion failures.
- As a field applicable, high fluoropolymer over-coating, FLUOROSEAL® extends the life and capability of traditional epoxy coatings.
- Ambient cures to an abrasion resistant fluoropolymer for high shear liquid flow.
- VOC-free, brush or spray applicable coating offers strong adhesion to structural epoxy coatings. Its high polarity also adds to the chemical resistance of the epoxy coating.
- Field applicable, high fluoropolymer over-coating with enhanced “FEVE” and PVDF performance to block UV rays from deteriorating any existing structural protective coatings.
- VOC-free, brush or spray applicable coating offers strong adhesion to structural epoxy or polyurethane coatings.
- Ambient outdoor cures to a tough, abrasion resistant fluoropolymer for direct vehicle and foot traffic.
Novel FLUOROSEAL® Coatings for Field Brush or Spray Applications
Almost all high fluoropolymer coatings are only available for factory coating and curing. AIT's novel FLUOROSEAL® coatings, while having a higher percentage of fluorination than normal PVDF and FEVE coatings, are ambient and outdoor curable to abrasion resistant hard coating. They are engineered for use as over-coating protection, as well as direct coating over steel and concrete with a proven fluoropolymer molecular structure to seal against UV, moisture and water, salt-spray fog, and H2S, CO2, SO2, and other corrosive gases.
For oil and gas storage and shipping tankers and transmission pipes that have been coated with a traditional epoxy coating from the inside, FLUOROSEAL® coatings can dramatically prolong their useful life based on its ability to block the H2S and CO2 that are known to cause damage.
From the outside, FLUOROSEAL® coatings offer a proven, high fluoropolymer structure that resists UV penetration, while also blocking corrosive gases and moisture that refinery environments can release.
The following are some of the unique protection capabilities:
- For the inside of new pipes and tankers with an epoxy coating, FLUOROSEAL® coatings can be applied as a transparent over-coating, just 50µm thick, for unparalleled protection against H2S and CO2 induced corrosion. This high fluorination formula is crosslinked to tough, abrasion resistance for high shear flow.
- Outstanding adhesion to cleaned metals with or without original primer coatings. That is, it can be applied to rusted areas that have been prepared by removing rust, flaking paints and other debris.
- For the outside of those new pipes and tankers with an existing epoxy coating, FLUOROSEAL® coatings can be applied as a heavier pigmented coating to extend maintenance periods by 30-50 years. These high fluorination FLUOROSEAL® coatings have been proven effective for horizontal and vertical UV resistance.
- This high fluorination molecular packing structure is proven to block the penetration of moisture and corrosive gases, providing unparalleled protection for structural epoxy and/or polyurethane coatings against water immersion, salt-spray, and salt-fog for pipes and tankers near the ocean.
- With major polymer glass transition (Tg) at below -45°C and the high temperature stability of fluorinated polymers, FLUOROSEAL® coatings provide long-term protection from tropical to polar climates.
- FLUOROSEAL® coatings can be used as an over-coating or original coating and cure to a tough, abrasion resistant finish for direct foot and vehicle traffic.
- FLUOROSEAL® coatings for pipes, tankers and supporting structural applications are all VOC-free and can be used anywhere in the world.